Ingredients to serve a family of four
For the chicken
4 chicken breast fillets
¾ cup breadcrumbs
Himalayan pink salt, coarse ground black pepper and chicken spice to taste
2 tablespoons coconut oil
For the Cheese sauce
1 ¾ cups milk
1 rounded tablespoon cornflour
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
salt to taste
2 teaspoons butter
(for adults 1 teaspoon Madagascar green peppercorns)
Sweetcorn or gem squash
Water to boil
(Or you can steam them if you have a steamer)
Lettuce – Iceberg or frilly
Wild rocket or parsley
1. First get the sweetcorn or gem squash – whatever your choice -into a pot with water and bring to the boil, or start the steamer.
2. Slice the chicken breasts in half and sprinkle on the chicken spice, salt and pepper.
3. Break the egg into a bowl and stir with a fork.
4. Dip the chicken breasts into the egg.
5. Tip breadcrumbs into a shallow bowl and coat the breasts with the breadcrumbs.
6. I used an electric frypan with the heat on Setting 1 – quite low and put in the 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and then the chicken breasts once the oil is hot – there is enough space to do them all at once. If using a stove keep the setting low and use a large frying pan.
7. Check your veg in the pot or steamer – they should be done.
8. While the chicken is frying start the cheese sauce by putting 1 ½ cups of milk into a saucepan with the butter and a little salt so it can heat.
9. Mix the cornflour with the ¼ cup of milk that is left to a smooth paste.
10. Once the milk has heated stir in the cornflour paste and stir constantly until it has thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese.
11. Check the chicken in between making the cheese sauce – it should be turned once so it is evenly golden on both sides.
12. Plate the kid’s dishes first – I prefer the cheese sauce on the plate first then place the golden chicken breasts on top, garnish with wild rocket, add some lettuce and the veg.
13. Now take the remainder of the cheese sauce and return to the heat stirring in the green peppercorns – around half a minute should do it. The sauce will now have a lovely peppery bite to it.
14. Plate the adults’ food.