A day full of excuses to read comics and listen to music, use your free time today on some fun activities instead of continuously scrolling through your Facebook and Instagram feeds.
Comic book lovers and collectors participate today and those who haven’t tried them much – why not try them today? You might discover a whole new world of enjoyment.
Read Up on These Facts
- Comic books are also called comic magazines and were popularized in the U.S.A
- A book reprinted from humor comic strips is what the term “Comic Book” comes from.
- Pannapictagraphist is the word for people who collect comic books.
- The first real comic book is believed to be Famous Funnies in 1933. It was the book form of a reprinting of comic strips from newspapers and included many story-telling devices used in comics.
- Comic Books are not all humorous even though their title or term gives that representation.
- The first known American comic book, printed in 1842 in hardcover, was The Adventures of Obadiah Oldbuck.
- Comic Sans font is based on the lettering in the Watchmen comics by Dave Gibbons, who calls it “dreadful.”
- The best comic book collector (so far), is the Library of Congress with the largest comic book collection of over 100, 000 issues.
- Letterers of comics avoid, “Clint” and “Flick” as they may end up looking like profanity if the letters run together during printing.
- In the 1940s, there was a superhero called “The Green Lama” who had the power of reincarnation and was a practicing Buddhist.
- In the Marvel universe, a company that specializes in cleaning up after heroes and villains exist and are called, “Damage Control.”
- “Batman,” DC’s most popular character currently, was almost killed off due to low sales in the 1960s
Tune up on these One-Hit Wonders
- Freshlyground (in collaboration with Shakira) – “Waka Waka (This Time for Africa) in 2010.
- “Stich by Stich” by Javier Colon in 2
- “Somebody That I Used to Know” by Gotye and Kimbra in 2012.
- “The Hanging Tree” by James Newton Howard and Jennifer Lawrence in 2014.
- “Uptown Funk” by Mark Ronson in 2015.
- “Cake by the Ocean” by DNCE in 2016.
So, grab your headset or turn up the speaker, lie in bed with your favorite comics – most of which can be bought on various apps for your phone nowadays – and relax with some nostalgia or some new-found hobbies.