Got Milk? – A Chocolate Milk Recipe from Scratch.
- Cold Milk – 1 Cup
- Cocoa Powder – 1 ½ Teaspoons
- Sweetener – ¾ Teaspoons Honey or Syrup and 1 ½ Teaspoons of Granulated Sugar
- Heat ¼ of a cup of milk until steaming in a microwave-safe container (about 15 seconds).
- Add the sweetener and cocoa powder to the hot milk, stirring until smooth.
- Transfer the mix into your glass, adding the rest of the cold milk. Yum!
Milking the Facts
- Chocolate milk was originally sold as medicine from the Irish physician, Sir Hans Sloane.
- However, it has been reported that Jamaicans were brewing hot drinks made with hot milk, cocoa shavings, and cinnamon all the way from 1494.
- It boosts vitamin D and calcium which is important for joint health and preserving cartilage.
- While sugar can cause cavities, cocoa contains antibacterial agents that fight tooth decay.
- To boost muscle growth and speed recovery, drink a large glass after your workout. (Which is perfect to drink today since it is also National Women’s Health and Fitness Day).
- 105,800 cans in America are recycled every minute.
- 95% of the energy is saved recycling aluminum cans compared to processing the same amount from a virgin source.
- A can is worth about a penny.
- The energy saved from recycling one can could power your TV for 3 hours.
- $1 billion is paid annually from the industry for recycled cans.
So, enjoy a tall glass of frosty chocolate milk today, purchased or premixed, made at home with melted chocolate, chocolate syrup, cocoa powder and sweetener or a chocolate milk mix. Or, buy a can of it and contribute to National Crush a Can day, too!