Observed annually on September 27th is National Chocolate Milk and Crush a Can Day. No, not can-dy crush, but a day that was chosen to bring recycling awareness and its benefits to everybody. National Chocolate Milk Day, on the other hand, is just a reminder (or excuse) to drink this delicious beverage. Invented by Hans Sloane in Jamaica, in the late 1680s, who brought it back to England. While on his trip to Jamaica, he observed the locals mixing cocoa with water, which Sloane recorded tasting nauseating. With experimentation, he found a method of mixing the cocoa with milk that made it quite pleasant to drink. Using this recipe, it was a popular enough hit with everyone to survive to modern times.
Got Milk? – A Chocolate Milk Recipe from Scratch.
- Cold Milk – 1 Cup
- Cocoa Powder – 1 ½ Teaspoons
- Sweetener – ¾ Teaspoons Honey or Syrup and 1 ½ Teaspoons of Granulated Sugar
- Heat ¼ of a cup of milk until steaming in a microwave-safe container (about 15 seconds).
- Add the sweetener and cocoa powder to the hot milk, stirring until smooth.
- Transfer the mix into your glass, adding the rest of the cold milk. Yum!
Milking the Facts
- Chocolate milk was originally sold as medicine from the Irish physician, Sir Hans Sloane.
- However, it has been reported that Jamaicans were brewing hot drinks made with hot milk, cocoa shavings, and cinnamon all the way from 1494.
- It boosts vitamin D and calcium which is important for joint health and preserving cartilage.
- While sugar can cause cavities, cocoa contains antibacterial agents that fight tooth decay.
- To boost muscle growth and speed recovery, drink a large glass after your workout. (Which is perfect to drink today since it is also National Women’s Health and Fitness Day).
- 105,800 cans in America are recycled every minute.
- 95% of the energy is saved recycling aluminum cans compared to processing the same amount from a virgin source.
- A can is worth about a penny.
- The energy saved from recycling one can could power your TV for 3 hours.
- $1 billion is paid annually from the industry for recycled cans.
So, enjoy a tall glass of frosty chocolate milk today, purchased or premixed, made at home with melted chocolate, chocolate syrup, cocoa powder and sweetener or a chocolate milk mix. Or, buy a can of it and contribute to National Crush a Can day, too!